Friday, August 1, 2014

Intellectuals

You know your friends are nerds intellectuals when... you have 15 great book recommendations but not a single decent movie recommendation.

Every Thursday my Hunka Hunka Burning Love and I have date night. Last night was no exception; however, we're leaving for the beach on Sunday, so we have no groceries and  my Hunka Hunka Burning Love is in law school, so we have no money. Date nights do not have to be super, uber romantic or expensive, but last night was pretty low key to the extreme. We were going to do "frozen pizza and a movie," but... we had the pizza only couldn't find a single movie we were interested in watching.

I don't know these two, stolen from google, all rights reserved.
Netflix has how many thousands of live streaming movie options and we couldn't find one? I guess since I, myself, didn't have any good movie ideas this must make me an intellectual too.

We ended up watching 2 episodes of Mad Men, which is definitely good television, but not exactly what we were going for with "pizza and a movie" date night. (A small Mad Men clip for your viewing pleasure).


Speaking of Mad Men here's a small advertisement: If you're anything like me, I have a mental list of books I want to read (that I can never fully recall) and then people ask me if I have any recommendations and I know I do, but I can't think of which books I've read, and the ones I can name I can't recall if I like it or not. For this my friends, there is a solution, goodreads.com (there's even an app)!

I joined goodreads in 2008, was active for about 2 months, not sure what happened, but I gave up on it or maybe I stopped reading. Anyways, I've just recently re-discovered it and it's wonderful. I can add all the books that are recommended to me or that I uncover on my own, when I finish a book I can rate it 1 - 5 stars, I can see other people's reviews, it links to all those ebook, kindle, downloadable book things. The best part is that I no longer have to keep a desultory, haphazard google doc, which I can't even access on my phone - dumb!

If this is an annoying predicament of yours, then you should join goodreads.com (and invite me to be your friend).

No comments:

Post a Comment