Monday, June 23, 2014

Grounded

I'm grounded...

Ok, so I'm not really grounded for doing something wrong, but rather I'm grounding myself as a way to establish some checks and balances in life. A great man always says once said, "Life is all about space and balance."

No looking at Zillow for the month of June.

My Hunka Hunka Burning Love and I are slowly talking about places we might want to end up after he finishes law school. We've backed away from the edge of some locations, while other dark horses pull into the lead. (Don't get any ideas, we're still completely undecided). Although I love Charlottesville and our current home I must admit that the idea of another adventure still in our future makes me pretty excited.

Some people hate change, and there are a few particular things that I cringe when I hear they are changing, but for me, a new location is not one of them. After college I moved nearly 1,000 miles away from home to New Orleans, with only a handful of acquaintances there to greet me when I arrived.

The people who showed up to help move me in at my apartment in NOLA, my friends!
I have always been interested in "home" things. Growing up some of my favorite TV shows were Home Again with Bob Vila and Trading Spaces with Ty Pennington (man did I think he was hot!). My dad and The Brothers were always using power tools and making things and my special job was being "The Best Helper Ever." During several of my college summer breaks I spent time down on the Gulf Coast literally re-building houses after hurricane Katrina. One job, I was hired as the Work Site Assistant, except they didn't tell me they didn't have a Work Site Manager, so... I got an instant promotion (one I was completely not qualified for). I learned a lot that summer about drywall, roofing, floors, plumbing and electrical. If you're ever remodeling, I might be able to help.


Ty Pennington
Bob Vila

















Whatever network Bob Vila used to be on was put on steroids and has morphed into HGTV, my newest favorite channel. Why did I not know about this sooner? For a long time I've wanted to be an interior designed or stager, but there aren't exactly degrees for that, you kinda just have to know the right people in the right place to make that happen.

So here's my current predicament, how do I know when my God given passions and interests become idols or hold too much value in life? What checks and balances do I have in place to make sure that my loves are ordered appropriately and that I'm not constantly living in the future of what great things are to come rather than what great things are here right now in the present. Hence, I'm grounded from Zillow. I'm putting on the brakes to the life that is to come in two years and I'm choosing instead to embrace the tiny little home we have and the fun life we're living right now on Monday, tomorrow, then Wednesday and so forth.


2 comments:

  1. Love this. I need this reminder ... every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ty Pennington! I had a crush on him too, hahaha. Glad I found your blog, Tilly!

    ReplyDelete