Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Harvest

My Hunka Hunka Burning Love and I were given two tomato plants from our neighbor. We put them both in big pots, pretty quickly after we got them. One died of blight, but it has been so fun to nurture and care for the other that survived. I would love one day to have a decent size garden to grow tomatoes, squash, zucchini, red, yellow and green peppers! But for now, my potted tomato, rosemary and basil will have to do.


Tomatoes do and don't need a lot of care. They must be watered frequently, but besides that they just kinda grow. It was soo fun to check out the tomatoes every morning as I walked out the door to work and then again on the way back into the house after work. It was such a treat to spot the new little buds that were forming and know that our plant was not a dud.

 
We're still picking. Our dear plant is a late bloomer. I don't think he got the memo that he's supposed to yield all his fruit in mid-August. Just last week we picked our first harvest and we still have about 10 green tomatoes on the vine.
 

The Harvest!
I hope the rest of our tomatoes ripen before the nightly frosts kill the plant. Last night was 54 degrees. I was told earlier this summer, "there's nothing like a home grown tomato." I wasn't sure I believed that, until I had one of my own. MMMmmm, Mmmm, good! I want more!

Our first tomoato pulled off the vine. (Not my best picture... I had just gotten back from the pool.)

1 comment:

  1. You look far better than I would just coming back from the pool, ha. The maters look great, too!

    ReplyDelete